Friday, 27 June 2014

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Ayanami Raising Project (DS) English Translation Progress Update - 27/6/14

Time for another progress update, ive got good news and bad news. Not bad as in a sense for the translation but what this game offers, I'll get to that soon. The good news is that I have completed and translated an entire playthrough of the game, that's really a significant of work done. I finished my 3 days ago on the 24th and since then pushed hard many man hours to implement the translation. On that I spent over 4 hours daily until this post today, I wanted to drive hard. Good news in short, I completed the game and implemented a translation of a single playthrough.

Progress
  • Completed and translated 1 playthrough
  • 12th - 17th Angels
  • A ton of park events
  • Misc
Now for the bad, the thing I hoped for most in this game. It never had it, Rei "has" to die. I checked the text for the mission and noticed no variation, I mean what the hell. The thing people would want to change most, wasn't even implemented. I don't even know what to say, I was really pissed when I found this out. That was my main hope for the game and the developers screwed me over, how could you. I feel betrayed, am I the only one angry over this. I hope not, was it just too much to ask. To prevent Rei from dying, anyone who even cares for the character would automatically ask if there is a way to prevent it. It's the same with the dummy plug scene, Ritsuko destroys them and you can't stop her. What gives, there is no variation whatsoever. I would have liked an option to keep them alive, because to me their still alive and I wouldn't want to kill them. I want to send a very angry letter to the developers, they probably wouldn't read it anyway. Talking about a decade old game they made and it being in English and all, stupid Japanese. Do something right for once.
Aww, isn't she cute.
Now for the meat of the games ending, the memory recovery........and man do I have a love hate relationship with this one. My main problem is that it's what we get to bring back the memories into Rei 3 rather than saving Rei 2 from death, that and even if we get Rei 3 to remember what Rei 2 did it doesn't make her Rei. It's the same as The Future Diary, you can't just overwrite someones memories and act like they're the same person. Those are really my only negative point. On the other hand I like it because it has movie esque dialogue and a great romantic feel to it. Take a look at these lines, I love it.

Rei jumped into my chest, her tears soaking into me. He eyes are happy.
Lieutenant: Rei, you remember?
Rei: I, remember…
Rei: The time when I first meet you……the times you taught me…
Rei: When you praised me…scolded me…the things you gave me…
Lieutenant: Yea, I know.
Rei: So…I could meet you again.
Lieutenant: Welcome back…

Alright that might not be the best, im a sucker for romance stories, what can I say. Umm, mysterious play anybody. Another big dipper was the prologue before the ending, again no variation except before Rei dies she can see either Gendo's, Shinji's or Lieutenants face. I got the latter, just look at that baby faced bastard.
I got one of the sports endings, I was just play testing the game so I wasn't really aiming for any particular ending. I trained Rei in fitness and physical strength because I wanted her to win the school swimming championship, sadly she came in 3rd place. You need very high stats to win, we all know what ending im gonna achieve next. "To be in love, is the greatest feeling that a girl could feel, to be in love. That special man, a brand new world." That was from memory, I don't even think that was correct but let's play guess to reference.
Yes Rei did eventually fall in love with Lieutenant, I tried to aim for that near the end as I was just sort of testing the game out and not really playing it. Hence forth why I didn't get the kiss on the big wheel or many other events, again I'll aim for that the 2nd time round. Forgot, the prologue to the ending and guess what.....everyone dies. The JSSDF attacks Nerv killing everyone, Lieutenant fights back, takes a bullet and bleeds out thinking about Rei. It then just ends and the games credits roll, you got your ending afterwards in an alternate world of some sorts where you meet once again. Aww, isn't that sweet. I really hope the wedding ending isn't like that, I want it to take place after the ending and not an alternate world. Im watching you game, don't disappoint me further.

Anyhow, here's a short summary for this sports ending. Lieutenant is feeling out of shape so he starts attending a sports and fitness club, there he meets Rei, the Instructor. He tells her that her smile keeps him going and she say's she's flattered and that she does this to make everyone happy. She thanks him for saying that and they return to their fitness routines, it then notes that Rei had a smile on her face for the rest of the day. That's really it, no don't I know you from somewhere or want to go out sometime. I guess they didn't want to factor in the players relationship for the ending and just opted in for no variations at all, again disappointing but I got a chuckle out of Rei's one-two's.
One-two, one-two.
How could I forget, Asuka........sadly for Asuka fans I didn't manage to unlock her playthrough. I thought you would just by completing Rei's but it seems you have to fullfill certain requirements. I'll so that 2nd time round as well, wouldn't want to upset fans of Asuka "The Tart" now would I. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it, if you have any questions about the translation or the game just leave a comment and I'll happily answer. Below you'll find some video's for your entertainment and those I've referenced.

Video's
Dreamcast Opening (My personal favorite)
Dreamcast Broccoli Logo (Broccoli Nyo)
Dreamcast Ending
NDS Opening
NDS Credits
NDS Sports Ending (Japanese)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you sir, for translate this game alone, I've always hated japanese only games, also evangelion has a lot of merchandise and fan service but there's a lack of good games and most of them are in japanese. Keep working and god bless u, good job ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it really hold everyone back from playing them, it's sad to see only one other Evangelion game has been translated. I also plan to look into translating other Evangelion games in the future, I'll figure out which one when I come to it. Anyhow thanks for your interest.

      Delete
  2. I could be wrong, but if I'm not, it's possible to somehow prevent her from dying, but only when conducting an Asuka playthrough. Also, if you're able to figure it out, have you ever considered making a guide/tutorial for this game? Such as one that would explain the stats, actions, items, events, endings, etc..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost forgot, this includes a sort of guide as how to unlock Asuka, though I've not tested it yet.
      http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/917346-shinseiki-evangelion-ayanami-ikusei-keikaku-with/faqs/31599

      Delete
    2. Yea I already know how to unlock Asuka and that you can only save Rei in Asuka's playthrough, that really sucks. Curse the developers, I will create a walkthrough/guide of sorts when I finish the translation detailing everything I know.

      Delete
  3. Is the game already available to play? What about Girlfriend of Steel or Iron Maiden? What's it called where Shinji dates Mana Kirishima?

    ReplyDelete