Tuesday, 16 September 2014

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Ayanami Raising Project (DS) English Translation Progress Update - 16/9/14

Progress has been going very well, I finished translating to the end of the games story events which is all the set events, Angel missions and the end of the game which is great. Asuka's side of the game was actually very well made, maybe more so than Rei's because they put effort into Asuka's story, who said that. there's a lot of things I could talk about but you guys won't even read it so I'll only talk about the games special ending and something special for you guys.

I just finished translating one of the endings the other day, and it was huge. Not some ordinary stat based ending but a proper condition based ending that is worth it's salt, The Nerv Republic. This ending starts off midway into EOE where they launch all 3 Eva's to fight off the invading J-SSDF forces, Rei takes on a tank battalion, Asuka the ground forces, and Shinji sits there being emo, but he eventually gets going and fights. It then cuts to screens of text detailing that the document Kaji had was sent to the Japanese government and the UN, they realize they were tricked and stop fighting. Then American and European special forces invade and take out all Seele bases around the planet, capturing all 9 MP Eva's before they are launched. After Seele has been dealt with and their influence removed from around the planet, the UN looks for a scapegoat over what almost could have been. That is the Japanese government, but they criticize the nations of the world and fight back with the J-SSDF, although exhausted from the Angel war Japan soon loses. They then sign a peace accord aboard the USS Missouri with 2 conditions, the dismantling of the J-SSDF and to turn Tokyo 3 into an independent sovereign nation (Called the Nerv Republic) under the control of the UN. Also on the side, was to give human rights to Kaworu and become recognized within society.

It then skips 2 years where everybody is going to school, with 2nd lieutenant, Misato, and Ritsuko working there as teachers since Nerv was disbanded. You arrive, meet all the characters (Including Kaworu), say good morning 1000 times, while Toji and Kensuke fawn over Misato. Although that is the heavily summarized version of this scene, anyhow after work at school you head and meet Kaji. He tells you that he was working as a double agent feeding the Japanese government information from Nerv, which he then says was a joke, har har har. Kaji gives his farewells, tells you to be nice to Asuka, and say hello to Misato for him, Kaji then disappears into a nearby crowd and it ends. This ending was many times bigger than a regular stat based one, they usually go for about 30-50 text screens but this went for over 300 (Or somewhere around there), mostly because it's long as hell and also does EOE. That set aside, it sounds a little too fanfictiony, just sent a document out and everything turns out fine. Other than that it's pretty good, puts all of the Rei endings to shame.

Now, there's only all these endings to translate, side events, and a bunch of misc dialogues which should take maybe a month plus tops. Since that's the case and I know people want to play, I'll release what I've done. Yay, good news. Rei's side is more or less complete, just need to fix some stuff up, meanwhile Asuka's side is playable, with all training options, main story events translated so you can manage a basic playthrough. You will find the download link below and I'll give you my events list, it hasn't been updated in a while and is all Rei, although some Asuka events also take place on the same days. I haven't started on a guide or anything like that but I will, for those who want to attain the wedding ending/love state then just feed her ice cream and stuff like that to raise affection, answer the questions right and increase her pheromones to 200, all of that will activate the love state but it doesn't happen right when you increase those stats. Don't know why but it then takes time or something like that, also remember that leisure activities probably raise affection although I'm unsure if they actually do, it's worth a thought as school possibly raises Shinji affection, since he's near her meanwhile leisure she is with you. I know you want to stop reading and have at your waifu so the events list and link is below, have fun.


Videos

22 comments:

  1. Nice to see some releases but I'll wait until the project is done to play :). Pity they did not put as much effort into Rei's story as they did for Asuka but at least we get an interesting new ending :). Also, in response to your last post, I wish I knew earlier that you were machine translating as I would have offered my help earlier with extracting the text and or editing said text. Of course if you still need/want help I'm willing to lend a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you almost complete your project, i will wait until everything is finish to play it. I don't care if is machine translated the result is really good.
    Also what other project you have in mind after this? will you continue the magic knight games or something else. Anyway take care, and don't let the haters ruin your experience as a game translator and hacker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought people would want to wait until it was finished but it's there if anyone wants to try it, anyhow I do plan on finishing that MKR game for the gamegear as the gameboy one is finished. Also, I've been looking into El Dorado gate and have made some progress, I have a related topic on the iso zone.

    http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47159&p=324662#p324662

    ReplyDelete
  4. El dorado gate and black matrix, I really hope you finish one of these two games, also el dorado is 7 games long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, neither of those links work. Would you be able to, either now or when you finish the translation, to put the rom and the guide on mediafire? The download just stays on "starting" forever(as does every mega download), and the guide just shows "Loading..." forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I was able to get the guide, do you think you can put either this or the final rom on mediaifre though? Just realizing, I think way of Takeshi is a reference to actor(and just about everything else) Takeshi Kitano. Are you planning on mentioning which events affect which stats, and what increases affection in a later guide?

      Delete
    2. I don't understand why but mega sometimes has problems, at least it works "most" of the time though, but I'll upload it to mediafire so you should see a link added in the post soon. About "they way of takeshi", I'm really unsure what the hell that meant but it was in reference to martial arts as the tutor says it when you reach a certain stage of skill, for some reason.

      And I will expand on what each stat relates too, or as much as I know because sometimes I honestly have no clue. I have also mentioned several times what increases affection, and explicitly stated what does at the end of this post but I tend to forget people don't read them.

      I tried downloading my mega file but it was slow as ass so I just rar'ed the one I'm working on so it's sorta updated, park events, side events and so forth.

      Delete
    3. I see the link, thanks. Yeah Takeshi Kitano is a Japanese actor, and he was in a bunch of movies, including Battle Royale, so I think it's just a reference to him. He also made a video game for the Famicom, it's called Takeshi's Challenge. You can watch some guy on YouTube playing it and quickly realizing that the production of this game was probably influenced by more drugs than Eva.
      Anyway I can't wait to actually [try to ]play this. Good luck with finishing it up.

      Delete
    4. Yea, I already know who he is and saw some movies he's been in. I'm really unsure but we can probably just say it's a reference to him, anyhow making good progress and I'll have another progress update coming soon.

      Delete
    5. Great, if you happen to know, what changed stat-wise from the PC edition? Basically, I've gotten Social(both on Japanese and your translation) up to 150 but she doesn't act any differently. I think I may have already asked, sorry if I did, but do you know what actually triggers the High-Social State? Do other stats need to be above a certain threshold? Is there a condition or trigger? Why is Eva taking over my life?

      Delete
    6. Haha... oh wait, I got that state now actually. Now I just have to figure out hwo to get a different state. Is there anything I have to do other than buy her the food and furniture for the love state? I think the affection stat is around 230 now, and she's in high-social state.

      Delete
    7. Oh never mind, I guess it's just time-based. If you happen to know though, how do you unlock Asuka? I know you send Rei to school on a certain day, but isn't there something else you have to do?

      Delete
    8. Nothing really changed stat wise, only that they split some of them into two. Like strength into physical and fitness, stuff like that.

      Anyhow, here's a table translated from the strategy guide by my very busy translator over a month ago. I forgot about it but it's here now, it details the states they can go into and the required stats so that should help alot.
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lrr7gh11fbypFmU-TMFZjE6HNdPrEgZxRZABMepFNs0/edit?usp=sharing

      About Asuka, just input this code into the cheats and unlock her, or you can do it normally by getting Rei to go to school on December 11th when Asuka argues with Shinji, the quarreling couple scene.

      Other cheat codes can be found here if your interested.
      http://gbatemp.net/threads/neon-genesis-evangelion-ayanami-raising-project-ds.365648/page-2#post-5038072

      Delete
    9. Sorry, forgot to add the code in there. Just use the cheats part in the emulator, the rest is self explanatory.
      22121918 0000001F

      Delete
    10. Thought I should let you know, I think you may have switched the bottom 2 options for the secret training advice menu. Does what you choose there make any difference? Also, does what you choose when she asks "What kind of woman do you like?"(Or something similar), even have different responses/effects for each option, if any?

      Delete
  6. I hadn't played this in a long time and I really thank you for translating, even more for releasing the game even though it's not entirely finished. I would like to know something, though: Are the codes you discovered Codebreaker or Action Replay? I', currently emulating it through DeSmuME (because of the save states that actually work) and when I have them on the game just freezes.
    Once more, thank you for uploading the game so we could play it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be appreciated, and I always like to make a release before it's done as I know some people only want to sample the game or have a quick go at it. Anyway about the codes, I can't remember which ones they're for but just try for both, although I think they are Action Replay.

      Delete
    2. I don't know, to be honest. Putting them in NO$GBA works and gives me no problem at all, but when I add them in DeSmuME it just freezes the game instantly. Pretty weird, but oh well. Thanks for replying!

      Delete
  7. I've just recently finished playing through this for my second time and thank you so much for the translation its a great game to play right after finishing the show. After i finished my second game with I've begun to look at the action replay codes you posted in the other forum. Despite my multiple attempts through DeSmuME i have not manged to get the master code to do anything other than crash the game. I was wondering if anyone else had looked into the codes and could help me with this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. anyone knows exactly how to unlock the love stat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The download link doesn't work :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you finish the translation?
      I really want to play this game

      Delete