Monday, 23 February 2015

Neon Genesis Evangelion Video Game Translation Suggestions

Erm, I posted this on Evageeks but it seems not much people will post. Anyhow, I'll just drop it here for the time being. I'll be finishing up my current translation project in about a month, so I might stray back into Evangelion territory. That said, I just want to gather some information/thoughts on which Eva game people would prefer a translation for. I wouldn't mention console games just yet as they usually require custom written programs to translate, and 99% of people I've contacted have ignored my messages... so, yeah. Anyhow, I've got a few in mind.
  1. Girlfriend of Steel 2 (Looks funny, could be worth a good laugh)
  2. Shinji Ikari Raising Project (Very unsure, ugly art)
  3. Ayanami Raising Project? (PC)
I know, a short list, but you might be wondering why I put Ayanami Raising Project on there. For one, my translation of the NDS version was very lousy, but I have improved greatly since then so I have been wondering about doing the PC version for a refined experience (with honorifics) of its original release. Two, there are a few things different between both versions, a few side events are missing since they were added in its ports and the fact that the PC version has a few exclusive endings. If you're familiar with ARP, you're probably aware of the ganguro and dominatrix endings that are exclusive to the PC and presumably the Dreamcast version as well, which were removed in the later PS2 and NDS ports. I'm very interested in what they detail, and they are also a few other exclusive endings (horseback riding for one) and even some with different artwork. Thirdly, not all the dialogue (less of it, especially in Angel encounter missions) in the game is the same and neither are the training options, as the original release was somewhat lacking in the much needed depth that the ports added. Heck, the Russians even made a mod for the game so there's also the possibility of translating that, too. That said, I know translating the same game twice may not be a good idea but I think it would be worth it. Anyhow, just gives your thoughts or suggestions on which game you'd prefer to have a translation for. I'm thinking GOS2, what about everyone else?

9 comments:

  1. First of all, thank you for translating Ayanami Raising Project on DS, you're the best!!! I'm playing it nonstop :'D
    And about the other games, I also think you should go with GOS2, I've been playing it on PSP and it really looks like fun (love the beginning with Asuka). Besides, it's the shortest of those, right? Although I gotta say I'm pretty interested in Ikari Raising too despite the unique artwork (seriously, what's wrong with Misato's forehead? it's huge) since it's kinda rare and also has the original VA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say go for GOS2 first, and then maybe move onto Ayanami Raising Project pc.
    I would like to see SIRP translated too someday but as you said it has ugly art, most of the fun from that game is actually laughing at how bad it is more than anything else, while GOS2 is a legitimate parody (though that seems to fly over most people's heads).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I have to warn you, gos2 is pretty fanservice-heavy if that bothers you (Asuka's buttocks are one of the first things you see in that game.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, that's wouldn't bother me. I'm not really a fan of that stuff, but it shouldn't stop me from enjoying it. Anyway, I'll probably do GOS2 since it's shorter than the rest. Also, any idea on it's length?

      Delete
    2. I'd say six to eight hours but keep in mind it's been a few years since I played it, so I may be misremembering. Also there are a few branching paths but nothing major, basically in a few chapters you can decide to go around with asuka, rei or kaworu and that chapter will play out differently, but there are no flags or anything complicated, you can choose whichever of the two endings you want regardless of choices done during the game

      Delete
    3. That seems feasible, thanks for your help.

      Delete
  5. I also recommend GOS2, then Ayanami Raising for PC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayanami PC ~ followed by shinji raising

    ReplyDelete