Saturday, 22 August 2015

Review: Gakuen Taikutsu Otoko

Now, this one I have a love/hate relationship with because it’s just so darn over the top crazy and insane but at the same time one of the most retarded messes that I have ever read. Let’s begin. It is very funny and the comedy works for the most part, but the amount of unnecessary violence leaves a sour taste in my mouth because this could have been a really good parody/comedy manga without it. I’ll give you some info about the plot so you can understand why though. Okay, the school system has fallen apart and students of all kinds are rebelling so the government allows teachers to carry and use guns and also brings in hired guns to keep law and order. I’ve already lost you, haven’t I? Anyway, it’s done in the style of a western with shootouts, cowboys, robberies, stagecoaches being used for transport except with motorcycles instead of horses? And yes, they do lift up when the driver order them to stop, and then there’s all that other jazz you’ll immediately notice if you start reading. Oh, did I mention there’s nobody even on the motorcycles. Hilarious. Nagai can be real funny when he wants to.
See what I mean?
Well, now that I got those parts out of the way, let’s move onto a little criticism. The first volume is pretty much an 7/10 but if all that violence (heads being blown off and much more) was removed I’d actually give it a glowing 9/10. I mean, the comedy works and the way the plot is set up is like an actual parody/comedy manga, but then people start to get their heads blown off, their throats cut, dragged to death on the backs of motorcycles, and all that just makes me scratch my head and wonder what exactly Nagai is trying to get across with this. Is it a parody/comedy, or is it just Nagai fucking around? Though Nagai is like that a lot so you could say that is his thing, but I still think it would have been better if it was just a parody/comedy. Meh. Anyway, while the first volume is still pretty good even with all that shit, the second and third volumes dip in quality drastically. The second is at best a 5/10 and the third hits rock bottom at a 2/10 or 3/10. Now, while the first was about our zany insane lead taking down a high school, the second is not and the third involves some horror house full of monsters and it’s really lame to say the least. I don’t want to go into too much detail because I’d ramble on forever and never stop, so I think I’ll end things here. This manga is a weird thing because as it is insanely enjoyable it is at the same time ridiculously stupid and bat shit insane, and I recommend you to check it out for just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment