Thursday, 15 October 2015

Review: Mazinger Z (Manga)

Hmm. I might as well get off my ass and write a review of Mazinger Z seeing how I read that, too, about a month or more ago. Probably multiple months back now that I think of it. Anyway, overall the story of Mazinger Z isn't hard to follow. The monster of the week formula and all that. However, that's exactly where things go wrong because having that formula doesn't allow for a more focused story which I think is exactly what Mazinger Z was missing. It just jumps from one bad guy to another without leaving much of an impression or allowing for character development making Mazinger Z overall rather mediocre and unejoyable. That's not to say it's bad or anything, just not very good or entertaining and more on the mediocre side of things. 

However, setting all that aside, the main thing to take away from it is the impact and influence it had on essentially every single mech manga and anime that came after. It set the tropes, the formulas, everything, and that's why we should appreciate it. All said and done, there isn't really much to say about Mazinger Z other than it's not very good, but it was influential, and that some of the violence which came out of nowhere was uncalled for. I mean, it's pretty much happy go lucky for the most part all the way through: beat the bad guy, save the day. But then people get violently blown apart, shot, killed and smushed to pieces out of nowhere. Though that is very Nagai. He does that a lot. Still, very unnecessary, I'd say.

Anyway, just to point out a few things about it's influences from something I've actually saw myself, Evangelion. Now, yes, I know it essentially rips off every single thing that came before it, but! I just want to mention a few things that I noticed in it that came from Mazinger Z. First off, Eva-01 goes berserk in the same fashion as Mazinger Z. Crashing around, uncontrollable by the pilot and all that jazz. Second, the way Eva-01 and the other Eva's are positioned and shown through camera angles and such are very similar to Mazinger Z sitting in the original lab in the first volume. Third, there's already a pilot before Shinji like Mazinger Z, and both become or are injured, and used as the backup pilot. Fourth, they all attend the same high school, and people in the class publically know they are the pilots of the mecha. The bully boss man guy and others being jealous of 'em similar to Kensuke and such. However, Mazinger Z one ups Evangelion by actually having that guy get his own mech. Fifth, both Eva and Mazinger Z are known to be "alive", however the latter is more "implied" than stated. Still, just for the record, Mazinger Z is alive. Sixth, they are both "thought" or considered to be "demons".

Now, you could say that these are all just coincidences ("maybe" some), but the thing is that Mazinger Z is the original manga which near enough all of what we know and all of what we see today is pulled from. And again, that's what I'd say about Mazinger Z which I like and appreciate it for, not its story or character, but the influence it has had on the industry. Anyway, I don't really have anything else to add so I think I'll end things here. Thank you all for reading, and I'll see you next time.

P.S. - I was super lazy this time so I didn't bother to add any images. How sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment